Saturday, September 11, 2010

Carry it Forward: Kite Runner

The purpose of a memoir is to discover something. Based on what we've read so far in Kite Runner by Khaleid Husseini, Amir's most vital discovery so far has been not to run away. Although the novel portrays this breakthrough in a very literal sense, I can envision it being drawn on in numerous ways. "Not running away"- from friends in need, troubles, challenges, or opportunities- is a standard I hope to carry forward from English class and into my everyday life.

I don't want to go through life a fugitive, constantly looking for a way to escape from problems that arise. If my goal truly is to take Amir's lesson to heart, I must confront whatever surfaces, because that way, I will never need to look back. "Why didn't I stand up for my friend? He would do and has done the same for me." "What if I had taken that job?" Questions like these can lead to terrible and chronic guilt like Amir, or an undying curiosity for what could have been. Both are feelings I have experienced in the past, and I would prefer not to head back down those roads.

Of the four examples I listed in the opening paragraph of this blog, I find the latter having the most value in my life. My mom's most adamant piece of advice to me through my high school years to date has been to be proactive. Being proactive, or not running away from opportunity, in my opinion, can only lead to positive things. Even if the initial outcome is negative, not knowing what the outcome would be is even worse. Plus, there is a high possibility the outcome is positive. By following this simple suggestion I have: joined band, gone to two dances, been in V-Show, participated in Key Club, and even tried out for Academy, enabling me to write this blog. None of that would have happened if I let the world come to me; I had to go out and get it.

Not only have I used this lesson in the past, but I plan to utilize it even more in the future. The college application process is a great example, and even further ahead is the job hunt. In both instances, I will not end up where I want to be unless I am hands-on in the process. I also aim to be a good friend, spouse, and father in the future, standing up for those I love.

I used to believe everything would work itself out in the end, but I now realize that is not how our world works. Those who want something work hard for it, and are rewarded for being proactive, not passive. In addition, the people who stand up in the face of adversity are the true heroes of our society, not those who wither when the going gets tough. I hope I can live my life following those two standards, because not all things will come easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment