Monday, October 11, 2010

Metacognition: Kite Runner Essay

The Kite Runner essay informed me some of the intricacies of my brain's inner workings. I found these both interesting and informative, as I can use my thinking to my advantage in future assignments. If I know what works best for me, I am able to harness this knowledge and work in a more efficient and effective way. Two things I noticed while writing the Kite Runner essay are: I tend to think backwards, and I am quick to incorporate constructive criticism.

I didn't actually realize this until it was brought to my attention in this blog, but my brain reaches a conclusion before it does anything else. In regards to this essay, my thesis was something along the lines of the book having two levels of closure because of the two genres. I thought of that long before I thought of any evidence to back it up, and thus was forced to locate textual support after the fact. This idea progression can be viewed in both a positive and negative way. On one hand, I do not rely solely on the text in order to form ideas, and I can use my own personal experiences and opinions to generate a thought. There is a downside, however. It is possible (and has happened) for me to form an idea, only for it to fall through due to a lack of evidence supporting it. If I had placed all my eggs in that thesis' basket, I am left without any other alternatives. If I can continue this thinking process while still including the text, it can be a very helpful procedure.

The second thing I learned from writing this essay was my ability to integrate help from additional sources. I love conferencing with other people, as it gives me a chance to see points of view other than my own. Also, the conferences with Mr. Allen really boosted my confidence in writing the paper because I knew I was going down the right track. Without his approval, I would've been constantly second guessing myself, and thus would've turned in a much weaker and 'safer' paper. With Mr. Allen's support I was able to take a complicated thesis and run with it, knowing in the back of my mind it made sense. I wouldn't say I like my dependence on feedback, however. When feedback is available, I am capable of utilizing it to the fullest. However, when I am on my own (which I will be at some point), I tend to doubt myself and my ideas, even if I shouldn't.

While my style of thinking has both positive and negative aspects to it, my brain is my brain, and I must learn how to consciously recognize these processes and use them to my advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment