(Sorry it isn't the best video...the only one I could find)
"Theme Song," by the small, Chicago based band Down the Line, speaks volumes to me. Last year this band visited GBS and played a concert for those involved in the music department. I appreciated their music and performance so much that I attended another of their concerts in Evanston last summer. I think this personal connection of seeing them live creates a more individual link with their songs. This one in particular speaks to me.
"Theme Song" starts by pointing out how 'you' have been pushed around, taken down, and broken by other people. Basically, you aren't standing up for yourself. I've been in situations before where I am hesitant to support myself either out of fear, seniority, or I just don't care enough to; my reasoning being either: they probably know more than me, or I recognize the fact that my offenders are being jerks so I internally ignore everything they say. These probably aren't the most productive methods in facing an intimidating person.
The song emphasizes that you are important and deserve respect with no exceptions. The chorus exemplifies this:
"Everybody ought to have a theme song,
You hear it in their heart beat drumming along."
Your theme song is who you are, and what you stand for. All people have earned the right to have their own, and no one can take that from them. It's in their heart. I think Down the Line is using music metaphorically to symbolize a person's identity. You are who you are and even if other people try and hurt you, they can't change you.
What's interesting about the metaphor, however, is that a song is written. Who writes the song? A medeivalist might say God does, but this song, for example, was written by four human beings. By following a Renaissance point of view, I can interpret the lyrics as meaning you write your own song, through your actions, beliefs, and values. Only you have the power to 'change the key' or 'add a measure.' I believe the latter standpoint is more comforting and beneficial, as you are in control.
Later in the song the following point is mentioned: if you are going through a tough time, whether it be physical, emotional, or social, the one thing you can always revert back to is yourself. Staying true to yourself, and what you believe in, will only yield positive benefits. If I am ever faced with a situation where I would be going against my values, I will remember this song and what it means. And I will decline, saying, "This isn't me."
The final thing I would like to bring up regarding this piece is the mood. The song is upbeat, fast-paced, and overall cheery. I interpret this as showing how happy you can be just by being yourself. Imitating others to fit in drains your energy, makes you self-conscious, and is a waste of time. If you ever saw this band perform live, you would realize they have plenty of energy. They may be quirky and do funny things (jumping around, screaming, etc.) on stage, but they are enjoying themselves, by being themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment