Friday, November 26, 2010

Metacognition: Organization

For my Aristotelian project, I went a little over the 45 minute guideline. I organized my room, desk, closet, and binder. Since I enjoy being organized, this assignment gave me motivation to use the break to create a better environment.

When I went in to my room to embark on the 'journey' that lay ahead, I dreaded it. I did not want to start. Before today, I had been putting it off for a few weeks, telling myself I was too busy. That excuse was not valid this morning. Once I started, I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I was listening to music and took a few breaks, but even when working the cleaning was not that unenjoyable. I was finding things I had been missing. My mind paralleled my room as it became more and more organized. Once finished, I felt much better. I was relieved, proud, and accomplished. Although not as big of a deal as I am pretending it is for this blog, the clean room definitely did influence my newfound positive attitude and relaxation.

Going back to homework in a clean room is infinitely better than doing the same in a disorganized one. Every time I looked at the clothes on the floor or unmade bed or junk drawers in my desk it reminded me of the job that loomed, as well as stressed me out. Looking around my room now, I feel calm and in control of the situation. I am more capable of sitting down and focusing in an organized environment. I guess there are some people who work better in disarray, but I am definitely not one of them. This might sound extreme and made up, but I actually had a headache that went away as I was cleaning up. From this i can conclude, at least for me, an organized environment leads to an organized mind.

Asides from the obvious unearthings of objects not seen in months, I learned a few other things thorugh this project. I've always known I work better in a clean environment, but I learned that it isn't as difficult as it seems to get there. Also, cleaning a small mess once a week is a lot easier and less stressful than cleaning a huge one once a month. Finally, I discovered the correlation between one's environment and their mind.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, feel the power of organization mentally. It is as if your mind needs physical order to have mental order. I wonder, though, if you could organize your mind without physical order. Could you think yourself ordered?

    ReplyDelete